Monday, January 25, 2016

I am a teacher and I am fine.



I think I will never understand how a nation, who values education, can just look down on its educators.

Each time someone asks me what I do for a living, I give them “I’m an English instructor” as a reply. To which they respond” Ah, teacher” and drops off the topic right away, casually. At first it still got me perplexed. Later on I realized what this profession’s like in the eyes of most Filipinos nowadays: Pathetic.

I don’t know how to describe the feeling exactly. So I’ll just borrow my friend’s exact words when she, too, was asked about her bread and butter:
 
”PARA. AKONG. PROSTITUTE.” 

Too much, you say? Well, to a lot of people, that is our estimation. I don’t even have to write this, most parents are not pleased to hear “teacher” when their kids are asked about their ambition. I understand where they’re coming from. What I don’t understand is how being an educator sank down to a sea-bottom level in the eyes of both the believers and non-believers of edification. How bad is our calling, really?

There are those times when people try, to be uh… a little nicer? So when I tell them about my craft they go “ Why don’t you apply to this or to that blah blah blah as if to save me from a wretched situation. I appreciate the concern if they meant well, but honestly, there’s no need for that proposition. Like really, that’s an unnecessary comment.

 In other countries, teachers are highly regarded . They are revered and greatly appreciated. I understand that respect is earned so we can’t just ask people to look up on us. Maybe, I don’t even ask for recognition, honor or gratitude. But perhaps, you should stop feeling bad for us and making us feel like pathetic heroes or something. We are not. Teaching is a highly rewarding job. Perhaps not always (never?) monetary recompensing but we get something more from it not everyone can understand. If ever we are suffering, it’s part of our job just like all other professions. 

Once, I had this conversation with my Korean student. He told me about the situation of educators in his country when I shared my observation about how lots of (Korean) kids dream of being teachers when they grow up. He quipped “Of course, teachers are highly respected (there).” Apparently, students see the former’s values in being in-charge of the dissemination of knowledge that they are. He even added that they get paid handsomely because their job is deemed as something of very high value. 

Your move, Philippines. Can you also say the same for your educators? I am not trying to mock you. Feel free to take this as a challenge.

I get it though. I get that the government can only do so much for us so we will suck it all up until we can. But the people, YOU guys can do as a favor. Please please, stop looking down on us, your educators. We don’t ask that you put us up the pedestal; but I ask that you stop making us feel "Para. Akong, Prostitute.” time and again.

This has got to stop. Seriously.

No comments:

Post a Comment